This plugin incorporates code provided by Pierre-Marie Baty for using Metamod with single-player Half-Life, which came from discussions with Botman on running bots in single-player Half-Life.
Download at: http://metamod.org/files/singlep/
Use of singlep
Install it as you would a normal Metamod plugin, and it should solve the problems otherwise seen when trying to run Metamod with single-player games (savegames not working, game triggers not activating, etc). For further discussion, see below.
The plugin provides a single command ("splist") to print out the list of function names and addresses, ie:
ActiveThink@CBaseTurret 92364368 AngularMoveDone@CBaseToggle 92322784 Animate@CBMortar 91866864 Animate@CSquidSpit 91875856 AnimateThink@CControllerZapBall 91933600 AnimateThink@CSprite 91960848 AnimateUntilDead@CSprite 91960928
References from Botman's forums:
Further discussion of the problem, from Pierre:
Look at all the functions that are callable inside a game DLL (ie, Valve's HL.DLL). You'll note that you find :
OK, given that, if you can build a DLL that fakes those exports, you have a "hook DLL", that is seen by the engine side as a valid GameDLL. That's what bot authors do. That's what you are doing in metamod too.
- the list of entities built by LINK_ENTITY_TO_FUNC (ammo_357, player, env_beam, etc.)
The problem:The interfacing is not complete. With just the above, you are not exporting enough functions. You are missing 50% of the exported functions, ie:?AccelerateThink@CApacheHVR@@AAEXXZ ?ActiveThink@CBaseTurret@@QAEXXZ ?AngularMoveDone@CBaseToggle@@QAEXXZ ?Animate@CBMortar@@QAEXXZOK, those functions are MS-style exports (starting with '?', containing '@@' etc, would not compile under Unix), but they are required for single-player gaming. Not having them exported too is the cause of many bizarre behaviours you see in-game when you play single-player MODs with a hook DLL between your engine DLL and your MOD DLL. For example, in Half-Life, the barney at the end of the train ride (intro scene) won't come to open your door. In Opposing Force, the barrack's door will refuse to open. In Azure Sheep, you can't use eye scanners. Everywhere, you can't save a game correctly. I assume that's because some entities have special functions interacting on them, that are "outside" their respective class (the one interfaced to by the LINK_ENTITY_TO stuff). For example, I've found that the entity "func_tracktrain" must also react to calls to "?DeadEnd@CFuncTrackTrain@@QAEXXZ" for functioning correctly in single-player. How and why is that stuff implemented in the genuine DLLs, I dunno & I don't give a ****. But that is.
My solution (which is basically the same as botman's): When the engine and your hook DLL are exchanging the list of their functions, they build a table associating each function to an address in memory. Then, when the engine needs (or is asked for) a function, knowing its name, it calls it directly at the right adress. But since you are not exporting half the functions, the table is very incomplete. Instead of letting the engine look in its array for a function it obviously won't find, I am doing the work for it. When the hook DLL loads the game DLL using LoadLibrary, I get told what DLL file it is. So I open it, and build myself my own exports--address table. I look for each export, and store 1) its address, and 2) its name (without the MS C++ -style mangled case because the engine usually calls these functions by pure alphanumeric names). And so, when the engine asks for a function address or a function name of the game DLL using FUNCTION_FROM_NAME() or NAME_FOR_FUNCTION(), instead of letting those macros do the work, I feed it with my own addresses and my own names. Then the engine looks up at these addresses and finds the functions it expects to find. It doesn't know, and doesn't need to, that these functions in memory are located outside the segment where my hook DLL is actually loaded, actually instead of finding these functions inside the fake DLL that it believes to be the game DLL, it goes and find it directly in the right game DLL, because I told it the function it requested was located at such an address. If I'd let FunctionFromName() and NameForFunction() work, it would never find those functions since the hook DLL doesn't export them. And such a trick makes the thing work, because the interfacing is now fully realized.